Monday, August 30, 2010

Writing Topic Summary Chapter 1

Writing Topic Summary Rules for Writers: Chapter 1

Writing is a process that starts with picking a subject, researching, writing a draft and revising until you get a final product. There are many steps to the writing process. The most important part can be picking a subject, often this will be provided for you. You will then need to decide which questions you want to explore, look at the sources you have for information and what kind of documentation is needed. You will need to review the purpose for your writing, for example is it to inform the reader, to entertain them or to argue a point? Is this information for academic audiences or for business audiences? Consideration also must be given to length and document design and deadlines. When exploring a subject you can use different techniques. Listening and talking is one that can be enhanced by taking notes and clustering highlights. Writers also use freewriting and journaling to formulate ideas.
As you begin writing you will want to formulate a thesis. This is often where I get in the most trouble. A thesis will usually answer a question, solve a problem you are writing about or make a statement on a position you are taking. With the thesis formulated you can then use an outline to organize your thoughts. Breaking down your writing in outline form is helpful; it lets you generate topic sentences and main points for each paragraph. It also reminds you to have an introduction, the main body of the paper and a conclusion.
I find that in my writing I have a hard time tying my paragraphs together. I sometimes make the mistake of introducing new material in the wrong place. I know that when writing a paper you are suppose to state your point, give evidence that supports that point and then remind the reader of your point and perhaps give them something else to consider on the subject in the conclusion. The middle is where it gets mixed up for me. I think the outline approach may be the way for me to go in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment