Hi everyone I am BetteJo. I was born and raised in Napa, moved to Humboldt County and spent 23 years there raising a family. I reentered the work force at the age of 46 with just a high school education. While working at a special needs school I was encouraged to go to college. I spent four years getting my AA degree while working with children of different ages and abilities. Five years ago I moved to Rohnert Park and began working in the 3rd grade at a private school. My second year there I was made supervisor of the pre school extended care program.
During the course of my job I correspond with teachers, parents and other childcare agencies. While doing so I feel my English skills need brushing up, grammar was never my strong suit. I want to send bold positive letters filled with confidence knowing that they are correct in content. This is what I am hoping to gain from this class. I would also like to return to the classroom, working with special needs children, instead of supervising adults while they work with the children.
I am striving to communicate more effectively with co-workers, parents and other agencies that help with early intervention. I like to organize my work week early, I am a list maker, so that there is time for reflection and rewriting if needed.
Hi Bettejo, I think that is wonderful, and it must be rewarding working with special needs children. I hope you can get back to it. There are so many children that could use caring teachers. What kind of dog dou you have? We have two dogs, a J.Russel and a Chihua/Dauksun mix. I'm sure Lauren will set you on the path to writing those Bold positive letters you wish to write. Good Luck!
ReplyDeleteEStrang
August 17, 2010 8:02 PM
Hi BetteJo,
ReplyDeleteWelcome to our class! I'm going to do my best to help you gain strong writing skills and become a confident writer!
I love that you stayed home to care for your family, and then you came back to work after 23 years. That's bold! It's not easy to reenter the workforce. It sounds like you've had some great mentors and people supporting you!
Take care,
Lauren
Hello BetteJo,
ReplyDeleteI'm sure this class will help you with your goals on how to communicate better through letters. I admire that you work with special needs children. They really need someone who is patient and willing to put the time and effort they need to help them learn. I hope you do well in the class.
-Leticia
Hello BetteJo,
ReplyDeleteIn reading through your blog I feel you are a very effective communicator and naturally talented writer. You should have no problem excelling in this class!
Also, it's nice to know I'm not alone as an older reentry student.
Best of luck!
~Diane
Wow BetteJo you're story is really inspirational. I think it's great that your going back to school at 46, it's never to late right? Your job sounds really interesting and you sound like a truly caring and compassionate person. I look forward to getting to know you better and becoming a better writer with you as well.
ReplyDeleteCody