Monday, October 25, 2010

Smoke Signals the movie Dialogue

Smoke Signals, the movie dialogue

I really liked this movie the images of the poverty on the reservation, the scenery and the trailer where Victor’s father lived brought the story to life.
Victor and Thomas had a unique relationship almost family like, not quite friends they were joined together by tribal kinship and tragedy. When Victor’s father saved Thomas from the fire it brought the families closer. Living on the reservation there was a connection between the boys even though they seemed to be opposites.
Victor was rough and assertive while Thomas was more scholarly. Thomas seemed to be wise for his years, a storyteller and a deep thinker. Victor seems more quick tempered and rough around the edges. The boys were bound together from childhood and at the end of the story Victor seemed to learn a powerful lesson from Thomas, forgiveness.
They had a tolerance for each other and a give and take that was mutual. Victor and Thomas would not have seemed likely candidates for friendship but they were true friends. Each of them was true to who they where while being there for each other.

9 comments:

  1. Hi Bettejo,
    Thanks so much for posting early. I am always worried that I'm going to forget to respond to posts as part of the homework. Can I ask what question you were responding to? You do such a good job it almost seems that you touched on all of the questions. Your writing is so smooth flowing. It really felt good to see how these young men appreciated each other at the end of the movie. Barb

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed reading your post. I thought that Thomas tought Victor one of the most important lessons in life also. To forgive. It was a hard road to get there for Victor but with Thomas's persistentance he made it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi BetteJo,

    I like your point that Thomas and Victor "were joined together by tribal kinship and tragedy." One piece that the film only touches on is the historical tragedy of colonization. Arnold alludes to it when he says he'll make everything disappear. We only see the after-effects of colonization in the film.

    Thanks for your insights.

    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi BetteJo,
    I like your last point it never came to mind while watching the video. Thomas may have got on Victors nerves, but he did not push him completely out of his life. He was able to tolerate Thomas and by doing so their friendship had gotten stronger. They had never hidden from who they truly are to each other.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi BetteJo,
    I don’t think that Victor and Thomas really became true friends until the end of the movie when Victor was finally able to forgive his father. I felt that Victor was envious of Thomas because Arnold treated Thomas better than him. Once Victor learned that his father was the reason Thomas lost his parents in the fire I think he started to understand why Arnold treated Thomas differently. I was happy to see that Victor took that information in a positive direction instead of letting it further hurt his friendship with Thomas.
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi BetteJo

    I like your point how Thomas and Victors relation ship is strengthened and even formed by tragedy, the same can be said about the family dynamics in this movie as well. the entire story circles around a constant status of drama some things has to be happening for things to be right. all of this drama and resentment came at the end when Victor forgives his father. it isn't until the end when all is as it-should that they truly are friends.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Bettejo

    I agree with your interpretation of the balance of the relationship with thomas and Victor. I don't think Thomas would ever leave Victor, but I could see the possibility of Victor letting his emotions get the best of him, or the anger drive his judgement. I like how you describe their relationship as give and take, I could see that in many scenes throughout the movie.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoyed reading your comments. I agree with you in that Victor and Thomas' relationship was strengthened and formed out of a tragedy. It seemed that Victor took on a big brother role to Thomas and tolerated Thomas even when he was annoyed by him - just as an older brother would.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi BetteJo,
    I agree with your view on there relationship, almost like family, but definately not friends. After watching I thought they had a relationship like step brothers may have. One hates the other, but the other just wants to be friends. It was interesting watching as the relationship grew along their journey, and it was good to see that they actually bonded after it was all said and done.

    ReplyDelete