Chapter 47 Rules for Writers
Constructing Reasonable Arguments
Writing an argument means taking a stand on a debatable issue. The goal is to explain and support your point of view, not to win or have the last word. Your readers will examine your point of view, look at your support and decide if you are right or wrong. Sometimes your readers may share your interest, sometimes not. You will need to use you introduction to establish your credibility, state your position and if possible build common ground with your audience. Building common ground by sharing your audience’s concerns help them to acknowledge your arguments point.
Your next step is to support your view with specific evidence; you can use facts and statistics, examples and illustrations and site expert opinions. Do not expect your audience to agree with you. You need to anticipate objections and be able to explain them accurately and fairly.
When evaluating arguments you need to be logical and fair. Some pitfalls to be aware of include generalizations, false analogies and stereotyping.
I have not written to many papers which are arguments. I find it hard to hold my ground in a conversation, this is a big task for me so writing an argument paper may be challenging. However, with a firm point of view and proper support I think I can learn to write this type of paper. I felt the section about seeing both sides and addressing objections helpful.
No comments:
Post a Comment