Sunday, September 19, 2010

"Coming Home Again" Dialogue

“Coming Home Again” Dialogue

This is a heartfelt story written by a son about his mother. Although Chang-rae Lee’s mother wanted him to go away to boarding school so he could advance his education and experience new things, she missed him deeply. He was her first born and they had a special connection. When Chang-rae reached his teenage years he began, like so many teenagers, to out grow his family and their ways of doing things. His mother’s behavior, her almost submissive ways, began to irritate him and caused him to be angry with her. After going to boarding school Chang-rae missed his family and realized their importance in his life. His mother however, felt he was out growing her. Perhaps she felt he would think less of her. Their common ground was food, the things he watched her cook and would latter cook for her. These were traditional dishes that she cooked for each of his home comings.
As her illness took over the families lives Chang-rae’s mother began to wish she had not sent him away to boarding school. She said, “Yes. I made a big mistake. You should be with us for that time.” Chang-rae would have probably gone away at some point as he grew older but, when we realize our time is going to be cut short with someone we regret time not spent. I feel that is why his mother thought sending him to school was a mistake. For many of us who face losing a loved one to illness the time we didn’t take because, we thought we had plenty of it becomes so precious. For Chang-rae’s mother I think that loss of time with her son became a reality as her life was drawing to an end.

9 comments:

  1. Just love finding another BetteJo out there who spells it the same and isn't a whack job! Hi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like you I agree that this is a heartfelt story. It affected me as well. I also thought that his mom felt it was a mistake to send him away,but at the same time, I think that his going away allowed him see how important his family really is to him and vice versa for his mom. And like you I think that when we take for granted of the time of someone we love and then its cut short we regret it. I too feel we should cherish that love while they live. Thanks for your post I really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This story is about family. I know that I have looked back on my family and wished I would have spent more time with loved ones that I lost. I certainly feel for this mother who wanted the best for her son, education, but because her life was cut short wished that she would have spent the time with him. I really like how you organized your dialogue. I thought that it flowed very well. Barb

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also agree with Barbara. Your dialogue flows very well. I feel really bad for the mother. For me being a mother you do want the best for your children.I could not imagine sending my son away for 10 years and then finding out that I lost all that time with him. You have a very good dialogue.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi BetteJo,
    I agree it was very heartwarming, it proves on how fast life can really go. Mother was torn between letting him get the proper education he needed and yet knowing that she wanted to be with him at the same time. She knew she couldn’t do both and wanted to all be together as much as possible which is why it became a big mistake to her to make him go. I think your essay is very well put.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi BetteJo,
    I really enjoyed reading your dialouge. This was a really good story and I like how you captured the fact that sometime's our time with people around us is shorter then we think. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi BetteJo,

    Thanks for your insights! I like the tension you highlighted between the mother's wish for what's best for her son, and her own wish to have him near. At first, it seems like the mother clearly wanted him to attend Exeter, but the last scene makes me wonder if she really wanted him to be at home, but instead sacrificed her own happiness to allow him the opportunity to get a better education.

    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi BetteJo,
    I think caring parents make many important sacrifices for their children throughout their lives. Lee's mother obviously had regret in the end, but I also think that it was part of who she was to go ahead and send him to Exeter even though her time here was short.
    I liked that you highlighted how effeminate she was and the role that played in his feelings about leaving. It was one of the few times he voiced any seeming dissent.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey BettyJo
    It makes me sad to realize that some of us don't consider that every time we spend with a loved one is precious time that it has to take an illness of a loved one to figure this out. I know because I have been guilty of it myself and I had to learn the hard way

    ReplyDelete